Monday 15 October 2012

Act 12 - Scene 1 - Traditional arcades

Murray recommended that I look at Doje's Palace in Venice for a traditional arcade type architecture relevant to the marketplace/stalls columns beneath the refugee accomodation.



These are quite beautiful and inspirational however in my attempts to replicate the feeling of these, I feel it is inappropriate to the use of the site.  It fits into the idea of permanence through its heavy and expensive structure, although I'm sure this can be achieved another way.  Refugees lives have been in turmoil for a number of years, and the repetition of a massive colonnade of an arcade seems to not reflect their lifestyle.  It seems quite institutional, which it what I am trying to avoid.  A finer grain might be appropriate in this instance.

No comments:

Post a Comment