Tuesday 23 October 2012

Act 13 - Scene 1 - change of direction

So far I attempted two designs for a food hall, both of them similar. Both terrible and boring.  If i get the courage i will upload, but am too embarrassed.  I think too many years of working drafting conventional buildings has made me automatically go for construction methods i am familiar with.  I need to understand this is about exploring ideas, not getting full construction documentation done.  It is hard to break out of.

After getting some design advice from a graduate work friend it has helped me abandon my design and get onto another approach for my food hall design.  After reassesing, I was stuck looking at a box to fit 250people, rather than considering how they move, sit and eat in the space.  The large hall with a two story void and mezzanine tended to feel too huge and less personal. So I going back and breaking the space into smaller eating areas that you can journey through, areas to queue, areas for different groups. Try to mesh this with roofs and columns to the larger public square space which could double as a replacement stage.

.. i hope I can get this done in time...

No comments:

Post a Comment